MS® Outlook is used for proper communication within the organization and with the usage of this emailing client, users can share emails, to-do, journals, tasks, etc. Wrong assigned inputs for server settings, integration of third party plugins and scanning program with Outlook, damaged done on PST file and bunch of other reasons can take down the performance of the entire program. Even, sometimes Outlook does not allow users to access it due to all this.
Today, we are going to discuss about Outlook Error 0x80040900 which is defined in a given way by MS Outlook on the screen at the time of its occurrence:
'The server name you entered cannot be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Verify that you are online and that the server name is correct."
To resolve this error, implement following methods one by one and check out its proper functioning by sending a test mail message own. The given below are different techniques and likely one of it will be a solution to solve this error message.
- Assured Internet Connection & Email Account Setting of Outlook:Have you assigned the right server details during configuration of profile in Outlook? If not, then assure about it because 90% of interruptions in sending & receiving occurs due to these settings, which plays an important role in transmission of emails. Also, we never consider the unavailability of internet connection and starts implementing unnecessary tactics to troubleshoot Outlook errors. So, before going for any step make sure about the internet connection.
- Check the Settings of Scanning Programs (Firewall & Antivirus):Outlook does not allow various file extensions which can be received along with emails with an attachment. These emails can contain virus or malware which can damage the database and to prevent your inbox from such emails. Antivirus & firewall program runs constantly and filtering all the incoming emails. But, sometimes the security layer of these scanning programs becomes more predictable and start assuming incoming emails as more spammy. Thus, it does not allow these emails to move further in the inbox and stop them. So, maintain settings of antivirus programs or firewall so they can allow emails for incoming.
Note: Disabling and applying appropriate settings of scanning programs (including antivirus and firewall) can raise the risk of vulnerable attack of viruses.
- Remove Apprehensive Email Messages From Mailbox: If Outlook somehow not able to send, read or access an email in Outlook so delete or remove that email from Microsoft Outlook. Reconnect or synchronize Outlook from server and download same email to access it.
- Enable Outlook to Access Internet by Configuring Firewall: Execute this method at your own risk as it can make your system vulnerable to attack by viruses.
- Start MS Outlook in Secure Mode: Safe mode – a way to open MS Outlook without any customization. This method is best suitable if third party add-ins prompting Outlook error 0x80040900 on the screen.
- Repair your Microsoft Outlook: Don't forget to perform repairs on the PST file if it is asking for it. Errors sometimes damage the database structure of emails in PST file and repairing those data structures using scanpst.exe can make the PST file again accessible.
- Cleanup Email that stuck in Outlook: Clear the email messages that have been stucked in the MS Outlook as it can also cause the annoying errors.
To know more about the above methods in brief, switch to a Microsoft's KB source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514
In case if all the above methods do not work in fixing Outlook error 0x80040900 that is appearing on the system screen, then move on to third party utility like Outlook PST Recovery software. It can deal with all types of Outlook errors and corruption issues and retrieves PST files without losing a single bit of database.